With the announcement of its 2014 scientific awards, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) honors the outstanding achievements of 15 scientists in a range of fields. Among the recipients are Dr. Richard B. Alley, chair of the Koshland Science Museum’s Earth Lab Scientific Steering Committee and Dr. Robert Kirshner, chair of our Wonders of Science Scientific Steering Committee. Congratulations to all the award recipients!
The Koshland Science Museum is honored to work with some of the nation’s top scientists to ensure scientific accuracy and objectivity as we develop new exhibits and programs. Learn more about our Expert Advisors and exhibit development process.
Annual awards distributed by the NAS recognize extraordinary achievements in fields spanning the physical, biological, and social sciences. This year’s winners are:
- Richard B. Alley, Evan Pugh Professor at the Pennsylvania State University (Arthur L. Day Prize and Lectureship)
- Marvin H. Caruthers, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Colorado, Boulder (NAS Award in Chemical Sciences)
- Garnet Kin-Lic Chan, A. Barton Hepburn Professor of Theoretical Chemistry at Princeton University (William O. Baker Award for Initiatives in Research)
- Joseph L. DeRisi, professor, Howard Hughes Medical Investigator, and Gordon Tomkins Chair at the University of California, San Francisco (John J. Carty Award for the Advancement of Science)
- Allison J. Doupe, professor of psychiatry and physiology at the University of California, San Francisco (Pradel Research Award)
- Sarah Blaffer Hrdy, Professor Emerita of the University of California, Davis (NAS Award for Scientific Reviewing)
- Deborah Jin, a physicist with the National Institute of Standards and Technology, professor adjunct in the department of physics at the University of Colorado, and a fellow of the JILA (Comstock Prize in Physics)
- Robert Kirshner, Clowes Professor of Science at Harvard University (James Craig Watson Medal)
- James C. Liao, Ralph M. Parsons Foundation Professor of Chemical Engineering and chair of the chemical and biomolecular engineering department at the University of California, Los Angeles, (NAS Award for the Industrial Application of Science)
- Ueli Rutishauser, assistant professor of neurosurgery, department of neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, and Rebecca Saxe, associate professor, department of brain and cognitive sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Troland Research Awards)
- David M. Sabatini, member of the Whitehead Institute, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator and professor of biology at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (NAS Award in Molecular Biology)
- Kelin Whipple, professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University (G.K. Warren Prize)
- James L. McClelland, Lucie Stern Professor in the Social Sciences and Director, Center for Mind, Brain, and Computation at Stanford University, and Elizabeth Shilin Spelke, Marshall L. Berkman Professor of Psychology at Harvard University (NAS Prize in Psychological and Cognitive Sciences)