The Koshland Science Museum offers two group visit options to enhance your experience. Explore the options below to see which best meets your group’s needs. Group visits options are available for a minimum of 12 people and advance registration is required.
This group experience includes a brief welcome and introduction to the museum by staff or volunteers and allows you to explore the museum at your own pace. You can request worksheets to help guide your tour and exploration of the exhibits on the Group Visit Request Form. This option is available for groups of 12 – 100 participants. The museum will confirm availability in an email after your request has been received.
With the facilitated option, your group will have an in-depth, 2-hour museum tour led by an experienced facilitator. Explore the issues at length in the Earth Lab or Life Lab exhibit. The facilitated option is the perfect experience for a group or class seeking a guided visit and highly personalized exploration of one of the museum exhibits. Please indicate which exhibit you prefer on the Group Visit Request Form. Facilitated group visits require two (2) weeks advance registration and are subject to availability. This option is available for groups of 12 – 36 participants (or more, if scheduled in multiple shifts).
Costs and Payment Options
Group admission rates are $7 for adults and $4 for students and active military. Chaperones, teachers, and tour operators will receive one (1) free admission per every ten (10) visitors. The facilitated visit option costs $200, in addition to regular admission.
The Koshland Science Museum is pleased to waive admission for 5th-12th grade classes from the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. The museum will also offer a limited number of facilitated group visits of either the Earth Lab or Life Lab exhibit at no charge on a first-come, first-served basis. A minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice is required to accommodate your request. Please be sure to carefully review the Overview for Teachers.
- The museum accepts credit cards or checks for group visits only.
- Payment must be received in full 14 days prior to your visit to maintain the reservation.
- A tentative hold will be placed on your desired reservation date and time until payment is received. Reservations are not considered final until the museum has confirmed receipt of payment.
- Once your payment has been received, your group reservation will be confirmed by email.
The museum accepts Visa or MasterCard payments by phone, fax or mail.
Please make checks payable to the Marian Koshland Science Museum and write the name of your group and the date and time of your reservation on the check.
Print and fax or mail the credit card authorization form or check to:
Koshland Science Museum
500 Fifth St., NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
PoliciesThis section details all policies related to group visit basics, facility use, payment, changes in group size, and group cancellations.
The museum asks that visitors do not consume food or beverages or chew gum. The museum is a smoke-free facility.
Changes in Group Size:
14 days or more prior to visit:
- If the number of paid visitors in your group has decreased, you will be refunded the difference.
- If the final count is higher than confirmed, payment is required within two (2) business days of requesting space for more participants. Your reservation will then be updated by museum staff to guarantee admission for all pre-paid participants.
- If your group arrives with more visitors than your final count, and capacity permits, payment for the additional group members is required in full onsite. Payment by cash or credit card (Visa or MasterCard) is recommended.
- If your group arrives with fewer visitors than your count, you are not eligible for a refund.
Please indicate any specific areas of interest or requests on the Group Visit Request Form.
All groups should review the following arrival instructions before their visit:
- Groups should use the museum’s main entrance at 525 E Street, NW. Group leaders should bring their confirmation notice to expedite check-in.
- All group members should enter the museum lobby at the scheduled arrival time.
- If arriving by bus or motor coach, visitors should leave bags and backpacks on the bus due to limited storage at the museum. The museum cannot be held liable for lost items.
Buses can drop off and pick up visitors on E Street, NW. Bus parking is available at Union Station or the Verizon Center. For more information on tour bus parking, visit www.ddot.dc.gov.
Overview for Teachers
The facilitated group visit has been developed by experienced educators to model established good learning and teaching practices.
Facilitated visits are offered on weekday mornings and afternoons. Tuesdays are recommended since the museum is closed to the general public. The facilitated experience lasts approximately two hours.
Facilitated visits focus on one of the museum’s two main exhibits: either Earth Lab or Life Lab. Your group will visit different parts of the exhibit. They will seek information to share with their peers or colleagues during whole-class discussions. Groups will identify evidence and formulate ideas, much as scientists do in their daily work. You can view the guides and worksheets on the Teacher Resources page.
The facilitated experience is available for groups of 12 – 100 participants. Larger class sizes can use the self-guided group visit format. Large groups may also split into smaller groups and rotate between the Koshland Science Museum and other local attractions.
A visit to the Koshland Science Museum can also be part of a much broader learning experience, taking advantage of numerous nearby museums and resources. The Koshland Science Museum is conveniently located in downtown Washington, D.C., in the Penn Quarter neighborhood, with easy access to Metrorail, bike services, and bus drop-off points. Ask for more information as part of your reservation request.
Finalize all arrangements with your school district and parents.
At least two (2) weeks prior to your field trip, please finalize all arrangements with your school district, send out field trip permission forms to parents or guardians, and arrange for chaperones.
Prepare your students for their visit to the museum.
The Koshland Science Museum has found that the most successful field trips occur when students have been prepared for their visit. Please review the Rules of the Road for School Field Trips carefully with your students and chaperones prior to your visit and contact the museum at 202-334-1201 with questions or concerns.